Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Moments

Wow - over a year since my last post. To be fair, I started the blog last summer and had the excited energy to make three quick posts before losing some gusto. Well now I am back with another perspective on "things". I hope to continue posting as these thoughts pop into my wandering cranium.

Try and read what I am about to say outside of the cliches. This might be difficult but to me some of these cliches are true the more you actually mull them over. Something I have been told (or at least heard and read) since a young age is that life is made up of a million tiny moments. These moments can be pasted together to form a memory, a mood, a reaction, an experience, or a decision. All major events in a life can be broken down into these tiny moments in time...right now.

If you consider that a "moment" as being a single second, than we all have 86,400 moments in a day. Suppose we sleep for about 28,800 (8 hours) of these we are left with an incredible 57,600 moments to enjoy every single day.

Let us make another hypothetical assumption about these moments and suppose we have the superhuman power to control how these moments play out. Believe it or not, we all have the ability to interpret each moment however we see fit. We can enjoy, dread, love, or hate each part of our day. Why not spend all these moments happy? It seems silly, supposing we have the ability, to waste these moments.

And waste is a term interpreted differently by everyone. What may be considered a waste for me, may be a very productive and full moment for you.

Thus it is my goal to enjoy every moment as best as I can in hopes of stringing together enough of these positive instances to create an even more powerful memory / experience. But like so many things, theory is often easier than practice. Everything I have said makes sense in my mind, yet when push comes to shove it can be very difficult to execute.

One example has been the challenge of ignoring the adverse things that come in and out of my life that I have no control over. This can take the form of a sad news story or my favorite hockey team losing to their rivals. There are so many things like this that have the power to effect our daily moments and the biggest obstacle is identifying these disappointments and trying to find a way to acknowledge our reaction, feeling the associated emotions, and moving on to the next moment. All this must happen within a single second.

Not that this is the correct way to overcome these challenges, but this seems to be the way I have learned to "ignore" uncontrollable events.

Further, there is something to be said about not ignoring these uncontrollables. After all, who is to say that dwelling on these moments is not a sign of incredible compassion for our fellow man.

All that being said, the point of my mental wanderings is that everything you experience can be broken down into little moments - so take advantage of them. You also have the ability to make the most of every moment - so enjoy right now. Without getting too existential, we all have a finite number of moments in our lives and thus it seems silly not to make the most of these moments. A subjective claim, only you know how to 'make the most' of your moments. There is no need to convince others that these moments are important or explain why. That is the beauty in all of this - everyone is going to interpret a moment differently and thus experience it in a unique way.

So make the most of whatever it is you feel like making the most of.

No comments:

Post a Comment